Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Being a Mum


Being a mum is hard.  To be honest, I have found the last couple of weeks a lot harder than I had imagined they would be and find that I didn't expect Ollie to cry so much.  At first I felt so unsure of myself and had so little confidence and this made me worry about every little thing I did with him... was I holding him right?  Was I feeding him right?  I think I had trouble getting used to being a mum at the start because the birth was, in my opinion, a little traumatic and I think this got in the way of Ollie's and my immediate bond.  Also because my stitches were so bad I found it hard to sit down and cuddle him comfortably and everything I did hurt a lot.  Feeling in pain constantly made me a little miserable. (Gosh I hope this post isn't making me sound awful)

James has been sooooo confident with Ollie and he is a brilliant dad.  He is a natural.  In the beginning I really thought I was a bit useless but I think this was down to my hormones.  I felt like he was better than me at everything and I was so scared to do anything that he did incase I did it wrong.  I even dunked Ollie in the bath by mistake and ended up in tears.

The past week though I really feel as if I have bloomed as a mummy.  I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of everything and feel a super strong bond there between Ollie and myself.  His little face makes me so happy.  I even gave him a bath yesterday all by myself with no-one else in the house and Ollie LOVED it.

I didn't know being a mummy would be as hard as it is... but I'm really enjoying it and were never bored anymore.  There is always something to keep us on our toes.  Ollie will be 3 weeks on Thursday and I honestly cannot imagine life without him here.  Every day is different and I notice something new and exciting and interesting about him and his little personality.  I heart my family of 3.

Emma xx

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new one, just cuddle him and breathe in the baby goodness - everything will be okay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going from just the 2 of you to 3 is a huge change! I’m glad for you that it’s all going well. He is such a handsome baby. You’re so lucky.
    I enjoyed your Talk About It. Who hosts it? I’d like to do one but don’t want to step on someone’s toes. Just wondering. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new little guy! What a little blessing! You do not sound like a bad mum at all! It is all quite normal. Take each day at a time...all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard at first but you will get used to it. It just gets more fun the more they grow and start learning new things. I think we have all felt a little inexperienced and new at motherhood, but that is how we learn! Don't feel useless. Just enjoy your sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, you sound perfectly normal... just that people like to gloss over the truth so often. I'm sorry you had a rough recovery. It sucks... I know!
    I broke my tailbone and had a third degree tear with my first homebirth... it was painful but oh my goodness I had promised that if I got to avoid another cesarean I wouldn't complain... that was a stupid move. Also served me right for pushing so hard and fast... I wasn't listening to the midwives gently telling me to slow down for anything!
    My third birth. I felt that I had the right to gripe ;-) Luckily I rebounded from the physical aches much faster.
    Sounds like you are totally on track. Beautiful little man and lots of love and help from your partner... a combination for success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. COngratulations on your blessing!!!

    Your blog is gorgeous, by the way :)

    I'm SOOOO glad that I read your about page because we've just come back from Dublin - isn't it gorgeous?? Those doors!!!!

    Please drop me a line so we can chat about beautiful Ireland - i would LOVE to live there.

    BTW< are you originally from Australia? The reason I ask is because you say Mum, in my view a very Ozzie thing to say :)

    ReplyDelete